Opportunities for worship

Sunday School 0930
Worship Service 1030

10 November 2010

Sermon Notes 7 November 2010

The Pharisee, The Sinner and the Savior

The scene is a banquet at the house of Simon, A Pharisee.

A Woman interrupts the banquet, where Jesus is a guest.
Simon, the host, misjudges the woman and her actions.
Jesus presents His host with a question in the form of a parable.
The host judges, correctly but reluctantly.
Jesus explains the womans actions.

The Pharisee, the Sinner, and the Savior

How should Simon (and by extension, me and thee) have responded to this parable?

"I love little because I have been forgiven little. I have been forgiven little beause I have not fully realized the grace of God towards me and received His forgiveness."

THe title of this sermon is deceptive because of the three main characters in the storyonly Jesus was not a sinner.
Simon, the pharisee, was a sinner inside the law, acceptable to most people.
The woman who intruded was a sinner outside the law, unacceptable to most people.
Repentance is harder for those who need to repent but don't know it or will not acknowledge it.

Whenever Jesus confronts our sinfulness our response is either faith or offense. One of us must be proven wrong, either Jesus or me.
He is either a rue, offensive man who points out my flaws and demands that I stop that behavior, or He is God's agent sent to redeem me through placing faith in Him and finding forgiveness in His response.

No comments: